Grey Knights, 1500 with Paladins

Paladins.

I love the concept of Paladins from History and Roleplaying. They are always the Character that I want to play if I get the chance to. In my mind they are very simply the Knights in Shining Armour.

There was no way I was ever going to be able to play many games with the Grey Knights before tying an army out with a unit of them.

As it turns out I made it through 3 games with no Paladins then decided to add them into 1500 points for a game against Tom's Space Wolves. It turns out they are actually as hard as their Reputation warrants, and the Space Wolves are one of the best lists in the game for getting high str weaponry and low ap weaponry into (I think), but still somehow the Paladins pulled through.

The list I used was as follows:

Grey Knight Grandmaster: Incinerator, Force Halberd, 3 Servo Skulls, 200

Paladins x 10, Psybolt Ammunition, 1 Force Falchions, 2 Daemon Hammers, 4 Psycannons, 4 Force Halberds, 2 Force Swords, 655

Grey Knight Strike Squad x 10, Psybolt Ammunition, 2 Psycannons, 240

Grey Knight Strike Squad x 7, Psybolt Ammunition, Psycannon, 170

Nemesis Dreadknight; Personnal Teleporter, Heavy Incinerator, 235

Total: 1500 Points

The list did me pround considering the numerous mistakes I made with my setup and first turn. It was Dawn of War, which helps a lot when fighting 3 Long Fang squads.

What it boiled down to was that the units of Grey Knights are just too weak when getting shot at by lots of high AP weaponry.

It also didnt help in the Target rich enviroment that the Space Wolves presented me with, with so few units I simply couldnt kill the 3 Landspeeders and 3 Long Fangs that were the things presenting me with the most worry.

So reassessing this list what can I change? Well the Grandmaster did me Proud continually Breaking or Killing the Space Wolves he wanted to charge, had he made combat I would have certainly drawn the game, but they failed those checks, and when all I was doing was including two wounds on him, I didnt expect him to fail both, then fail his morale check, then run far enough away from me. What did him in the end was the lack of Eternal Warrior. I also used the Grand Strategy to make the Paladins along with the Dreadknight. The Dreadknight which I suicided forward and ended up doing nothing... so I need to learn how to use the army better, but I think a few changes may be in order just to increase its survivability.

Anyway... here is the revised 1500 point list.

Lord Kaldor Draigo: 275

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor: 3 Servo Skulls, Psyker w/Communion, Psychotrope Grenade, Power Armour, 87

Paladins x 10: Psybolt Ammunition, 4 x Psycannon, Daemonhammer x 2, Falchions x 2, Halberds x 6, 660

Grey Knight Strike Squad x 10: 2 x Psycannons, Psybolt Ammunition

Nemesis Dreadknight: Personnal Teleporter, Heavy Incinerator.

This list certainly has its weaknesses, the big one being bodies on the ground. With only 23 models and a mere 41 wounds it could very well struggle against Torrent of fire.

It is toting 6 Psycannons, 4 of which are relentless so they should be able to deal with most armour, and with enough concentrated firepower even Landraiders will go down.

Draigo is a huge jump in points over a standard GrandMaster, but being Immune to instant death and a 3++ save means I can allocate those pesky AP1 & 2 shots to him instead of Paladins.

Comments