An Evolution of 1500 points of Imperial Guard

So here is my current 1500 points Guard army list. This is very similar to all of the 1500 point lists I have been posting in the last few weeks.

Company Command Squad, Vox, 3 x Snipers, Master of the Ordnance

Platoon
Command Squad; Vox Caster, 3 x Flamers
Infantry Squad; Vox Caster, Autocannon
Infantry Squad; Vox Caster, Autocannon
Infantry Squad; Vox Caster, Rocket Launcher
Heavy Weapons Squad; 3 x Lascannons


Veteran Squad; 2 x Flamers, 1 x Meltagun
Veteran Squad; 3 x Meltagun

Vendetta
Valkyrie; Multiple Rocket Pods
Vendetta


Leman Russ
Leman Russ
Leman Russ Demolisher

This list has a lot of redundancy, with every squad in it capable of killing Transports (well except for the Platoon Command Squad). It does offer 6 armoured targets for my enemies to deal with, 3 of which will scout move 24” before the game begins. It also has 4 Marine killing Pie Plates, and another 2 on the Valkyrie for dealing with Hordes.


Overall I am happy with the list, and am now just beginning to tweak it each week.


This week I want to tweak it to get a Primaris Psyker in as he proved to be awesome in the Combat Patrol I would like to give him a try in this size of game. Now given that against Space Wolves and Blood Angels they are likely to have at least 1 Psyker this could prove interesting, however I think he will still be useful, if for nothing else than drawing Rune Priests and Librarians towards him to negate his powers.


The main problem is where to find the points to get him in, especially as I want to try and minimise the changes to the army.

So after much deliberation I decided that dropping one of the Infantry Squads, the one with the Rocket Launcher and replacing it with the Primaris Psyker.


I have also decided to swap out the Master of Ordnance and replaced him with an Officer of the Fleet. This should help against reserving enemies.


So two changes and another incarnation of my 1500 points, but one that gives me a few more tactical options, either giving cover saves my men in the open, or on the offensive 24”, Strength 6, 2D6 shots a turn.


Company Command Squad, Vox, 3 x Snipers, Officer of the Fleet
Primaris Psyker

Platoon
Command Squad; Vox Caster, 3 x Flamers
Infantry Squad; Vox Caster, Autocannon
Infantry Squad; Vox Caster, Autocannon
Heavy Weapons Squad; 3 x Lascannons

Veteran Squad; 2 x Grenade Launchers, 1 x Meltagun
Changed from Flamers after Folkert's excellent observation below.
Veteran Squad; 3 x Meltagun

Vendetta
Valkyrie; Multiple Rocket Pods
Vendetta

Leman Russ
Leman Russ
Leman Russ Demolisher

Comments

Unknown said…
The list is good and I like the changes, but I'm just a little iffy with the double flamers in the Veteran squad, it's such a waste of BS 4, which is rather hard to come by in the IG. If you swap them for grenade launchers, then you can still bust tanks (well to some degree) and have anti horde with two blast templates. plus you get to keep the range. if you can use flamers, you're in assault range. and if you are then 2 flamers won't kill enough. at least that has been my personal experience. 3 is good 2 is not enough.

Just my 2 cents :)

Cheers,

Folkert
Kraggi said…
Hmmm it is a good point, I think i will swap those flamers for Grenade Launchers, as you say the range will help and I dont intentionally mean to run my Veteran squad upto the Death Company.... it just kinda happens lol.
Unknown said…
Lol dude I know how bad it sucks, mine always bounce into Khorne Bezerkers.. god knows I try to evade those bastards but.. as you said it just kinda happens :-/

the main problem that I had with the 2 flamer 1 melta load out is that Or you're using flamers to fry hordes Or you use the melta to bust up tanks.. specialty is better suited for veterans in my opinion.
When I build my tactical squad I go for a Mixed loadout, with Missile launcher and plasmagun, because those 2 allow me to deal with a whole range of enemy units. because they both are able to deal damage to all units. mech still hates str 7 plasma and str 8 krak missiles. hordes don't like frag templates and lots of bolters and plasma double tapping them. Monstrous Creatures don't like Krak and Plasma either. MEQ same, and volume of fire with the bolters hurts too.
But Flamers can't do what Meltas do and vice versa.

Oops way longer then I intended but hey, hope it helps and that it make my reasoning clearer

Thanks for reading it all :-P

Cheers,

Folkert
Kraggi said…
It does make your reasoning clear and its always good to see peoples reasoning.

Makes more sense, and I will try it as the couple of times I have used the Grenade Launchers they havent done me badly at all lol.

I used the list last week and it won... but that game had a lot of errors from me and my opponent (a reason why pre midday wargaming is bad), so next time i use it will try it with the GL and see how it goes.