2250 Points of Dwarf.

So my Dwarves made it out for a game or two recently. Mainly because a lot of people at my FLGS are playing in a tournament in the next few weeks.



They all wanted me to produce a 2250 list with my Dwarves to get an idea of how they would do against a static gunline, something that Dwarves, and my Dwarves in particular are reliable for putting out.

So the list I built up was as follows:

Runelord; Spell Eater Rune & 2 Runes of Spell Breaking

Runesmith; Master Rune of Balance
Thane: Rune Weapon with Master Rune of Swiftness, Rune Armour with Rune of Stone, Oath Stone

Thunderers: 10
Thunderers: 10
Thunderers: 10
Longbeards: 25, Shields, Full Command
Dwarf Warriors: 25, Shields, Full Command


Hammerers: 20, Shields, Full Command
2 x Bolt Throwers
Cannon
Cannon

Organ Cannon
Organ Cannon


So this was my list for 2250 points. Not ideal, although that is because I made the mistake of writing it at 4am. So this post is to show you what I would change in the aforementioned list. Mostly because I am awake, and partly because of what went wrong for me.


In the game I played the Bolt Throwers didn’t do very much, they had 3 turns of shooting and missed every turn. They are on their way out.

The Oathstone, while useful just didn’t end up being needed, partly because of my setup and the fact my opponent only had two Large combat units. The rest died to my shooting.


The Hammerers didn’t do badly for me, but didn’t really do anything, mainly for fear of the Screaming bell and its unit.

The Cannons were superb, as were the Organ guns. The Thunderers also weren’t too shabby. My Runesmith and RuneLord had a minimal effect but that may be because my enemy miscast on the first magic phase and failed their spells in the other ones.

The other problem I have is fear causing enemies, and the fact that they are likely to be outnumbering me lots and lots. This is where the Dwarves high leadership is completely useless.

Now there are options, like making a Character cause fear, or making the unit immune to fear and terror, the other one (perhaps the cheapest) is to just try and reduce the numbers of any Fear causing unit I can face with more shooting.

Well bearing all of the above in mind, this is what I came up with.

Dwarf Lord; Shield Bearers,
--------Runic Weapon; Master Rune of Swiftness, Rune of Might, Rune of Fury
--------Runic Armour; Rune of Preservation


Runesmith; Master Rune of Balance
Runesmith; Rune of Spellbreaking x 2
Thane: Shield
-------Runic Weapon: Rune of Might, Rune of Fury,
-------Runic Armour Rune of Persevation, Rune of Stone


Thunderers x 12
Thunderers x 12
Longbeards x 25, Shields, Command, Rune of Battle


Hammerers x 21, Command, Rune of Determination, Rune of Sanctuary x 2
Cannon; Engineer
Cannon; Rune of Forging, Rune of Burning
Cannon; Rune of Forging
Organ Cannon
Organ Cannon


This army loses a total of 6 Thunderer shots from the previous one and two Bolt Throwers. It also loses a 25 Dwarf unit of Warriors.


So what does it gain? Well it gains an extra shot with a Cannon, A Dwarf Lord designed to splat Doomwheels (by inflicting wounds and then winning on combat resolution) and other tough units.


It also has a Thane that can inflict wounds on a Doomwheel which means the unit he is with should be even less likely to break.


The Hammerers are basically unbreakable in combat. They are stubborn unit with a Magic Resistance (2) and the ability to test break tests on a single D6.


The Dwarf Lord in this unit makes it immune to fear and terror which means being outnumbered and losing combat isn’t an issue. It also means the enemy has to slog through every single model in the unit before it is gone (well that’s the theory).

Any suggestions or feedback let me know.

Comments