Tyranid Fever...

So with the new Codex gripped firmly in my hands (I pinched by Brothers), I sat down and began to read.

I have to say that the Codex has not let me down in the way that I was worried it was.

Sure it invalidated all of my armylists, and most of the models I have (I am looking at you Carnifexs) however the other options do more than make up for it... at least in my opinion.

I look forward to fielding a new shiney army full of scary creatures... I dont look forward to Space Wolves shooting the bugjuice out of my bugs but that is by the by.

So what is the point of this post I hear you cry (well I imagine you are thinking this by now), well as with most people I am going to post a couple of lists that I intend to try out, then I am going to get back to you all and tell you how well they did or did not perform.

Intially I wanted to use none of the new units and just stick with all of the previous editions models and options, just to see how it works. The list I have for this is:

HQ:
Hive Tyrant; 240pts
Lash Whip & Bonesword, Stranglethorn Cannon, Adrenal Gland, Armouer Shell

Elites
2 Zoanthropes; 120

Troops
10 Genestealers; 140pts

10 Genestealers; 140pts

16 Termaguants; 80pts

16 Termaguants; 80pts

4 Brood Warriors; 150pts
Devourer, Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, 1 with Barbed Strangler

4 Brood Warriors; 170pts
Deathspitters, Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, 1 with Barbed Strangler

Heavy Support
Carnifex; Twin Linked Devourer x 2

Carnifex; 2 x Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Bio Plasma

This list is not that dis-similiar from the lists I used in the old codex. Not as heavy of MC as I am used to perhaps, but having the Outflanking Stealers will be really nice.

It also can unleash a lot of shots each turn, and this can whittle down the smaller Devastator squads which tend to prove such a threat to my MC's.

One joy is that the Carnifex with Twin Linked Devourer is still a threat on the charge, with 5 Strength 9, Monstrous Creature attacks, something that in the previous codex it never really had.

The Armoured Shell is an exspensive indulgence for the Hive Tyrant, but should help it soak up that little bit more firepower before it taken out.

Now for the new stuff.

Below is the first 1500 point list that I aim to use this coming Wednesday...

HQ:
Tyranid Prime; 100pts
Adrenal Glands, A Pair of Boneswords, Scything Talons

Tervigon; 200points
Catalyst, Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs


Elites
2 Zoanthropes; 120pts
The Doom of Malan'tai; 90pts
Deathleaper; 140pts

Troops
7 Genestealers; 98pts

17 Termaguants; 85pts

3 Brood Warriors; 135pts
Adrenal Glands, A Pair of Boneswords, Scything Talons

Tervigon; 200points
Catalyst, Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs


Fast Attack
3 Shrike Brood Warriors; 150pts
Adrenal Glands, Pair of Boneswords, Scything Talons


Heavy Support
Mawloc; 180pts
Adrenal Glands


This list does lack in the shooting phase, however it has a lot of units for the enemy to worry about, with several of them being potentially leathal in the Combat phase.


Hopefully the vast number of units that can cause hurt, will make my enemies think about what to kill, and for the first few games, that is what I need, so I can figure out what units I want to take and keep in my list.


Any thoughts or comments feel free to let me know, one of these lists will get used this week, although which is dependant on who will let me proxy a couple of units.


I have some awesome conversion ideas for some of the new units, primarily the Tervigon, Tyranid Prime, and the Doom of Malan'tai. However will take me a bit of time to get the pieces together.


Also I need to find a good thing to use a Boneswords... if only i hadnt gotten rid of all my 2nd Edition warriors.... ah well.

Comments